MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELLING & SUPPORT
CCVT provides supportive, non-judgmental counselling that helps survivors develop trust and regain a sense of empowerment.
The program includes:
- Confidential assessment by in-house psychiatrists, psychologists and family doctors
- Counselling by highly skilled staff
- Crisis intervention and support services to individuals and families experiencing mental-health crisis
- Individual, family and group counselling
- Referral to treatment
- Public education with a focus on mental health
Most of our clients have little or no prior experience with mental-health care; many are deeply traumatized, guarded and shut down. It takes time for them to develop trust. We give them the space to become comfortable, and to get to know our staff and volunteers. Once they have seen who we are and what we do, they are ready to ask for the services they need.
With each client, we develop an individual treatment plan. We give them a realistic picture; we never promise easy solutions. Together, we work on a program that includes short-term, mid-term and long-term goals.
On a practical level, a treatment plan may include services available at the Centre or provided by outside agencies and institutions. And just as importantly, the plan addresses the big picture: it sets out a path to help survivors access their own internal resources, and to regain their confidence at their own pace.
DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO NEEDS HELP?